3392 Magic Oak Lane
Sarasota FL 34232
Toll Free: (800) 385-7863
Fax: (941) 371-7667
E-mail: Contact Form
Adrenal Stress Index tests cortisol levels at four different times during the day. The Adrenal Stress Index is indicated for Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Obesity, Depression, Insomnia, PTSD, Chronic Fatigue, Muscle and joint pain, Memory impairment, Osteoporosis, and Hypertension. High cortisol levels have been linked to Alzheimer's Disease.
- Purchase on our secure website.
- Lab order is provided by us.
- You receive a collection kit for saliva, urine, or finger stick to collect at home and mail to the lab. Some tests require a blood draw at a local lab.
- You receive the results by email within 2-3 weeks.
- Got insurance? Some tests are covered. Call 800 385-7863 for more information.
- Practitioner phone consultations available, some included with test.
The Adrenal Stress Index™ by Diagnos-Techs
The Adrenal Stress Index is a test of adrenal function. It can determine the functioning of the bodies stress gland.
The adrenals are two small glands, each weighing 3 to 5 grams, that are located above the kidneys. The adrenals have one of the highest rates of blood flow per gram of tissue, and the highest content of Vitamin C per gram of any tissue in the body.
Each adrenal gland is composed of two separate functional entities. The outer zone, or cortex, accounts for 80% to 90% of the gland, and secretes adrenal steroids (Cortisol, DHEA(S) and Aldosterone). The inner zone, or medulla, comprises 10% to 20% of the gland, and secretes the catecholamines adrenaline and nor-adrenaline. Cortisol, DHEA and adrenaline are the three main adrenal stress hormones.
The Adrenal Rhythm & Its Importance
The human adrenal gland does not secrete its steroid hormones at a constant level throughout the day. The hormones are actually released in a cycle with the highest value in the morning and the lowest value at night. This is easily understood by looking at Figure 1. This 24-hour cycle is called the circadian rhythm. An abnormal adrenal rhythm can influence many functions of the body, some of which are listed below.
1. Energy production
The maintenance of a stable blood sugar level depends on food choice, lifestyle, adrenal function and insulin activity. This panel measures stress hormones and insulin, to help ferret out causes of fatigue, cravings and obesity.
2. Muscle & joint function
3. Bone health
4. Immune health
Short and long-term stress is known to suppress the immune response on the surfaces of our body as in lungs, throat, urinary and intestinal tract. With the reduction in the surface antibody (called secretory IgA), the resistance to infection is reduced and allergic reactions are believed to increase.
5. Sleep quality
6. Skin regeneration
7. Thyroid function
8. Grain intolerance & stress
(Several other functions that go beyond the scope of the pamphlet are also cortisol and DHEA dependent.)
The Adrenal Stress Index™ (ASI™)
Four saliva samples are used in the ASI™ for the following ten tests:
|4 x Cortisol||Helps evaluate stress response|
|2 x Insulin||Helps investigate blood sugar control|
|DHEA||Helps determine stress adaptation|
|Secretory IgA||Helps evaluate toll on immunity|
|17-OH Progesterone||Helps determine adrenal reserve|
|Gluten Antibodies||Helps identify grain intolerance|
Your health care provider can use the findings in this panel to recommend customized treatment and preventive measures that may include diet and lifestyle changes, hormones, botanicals and vitamins.
Advantages of the ASI™
- The test is non-invasive & can be performed wherever you are.
- Saliva is collected under real life conditions. There are no stressful blood draws and no gallon sized urine containers to carry around for 24 hours.
- With blood and urine testing, a number of borderline adrenal conditions are missed due to lack of sensitivity. This is not the case with the ASI™ because samples are taken within one circadian cycle and the more definitive free fraction is measured.
- The ASI™ is an in-depth test, such that options for treatment are expanded by 400-500% over serum and urine test results.
Abnormal adrenal rhythm can influence:
- Energy Production
- Bone Health
- Immune System Health
- Sleep Quality
- Skin Regeneration
- Thyroid Function
- Muscle and Joint Function
Do you need the ASI™ Test?
The ASI™ is mostly ordered for individuals that suffer from:
- Chronic stress and related health problems
- Lack of vitality and energy
- Muscle and joint pain
- Migraine headaches
- Sleep disturbances
- Poor memory
- Alcohol intolerance
- Stress maladaptation
- Low sex drive
- Low body temperature
- Anxiety/Panic Attacks